Taylor Swift is on fire! In the video to her smash “Look What You Made Me Do,” there are several references you probably didn’t notice. Don’t worry. Here they are for your review. Read these and watch the video again. You’ll be amazed.
1. All of the backup dancers are wearing shirts that say, “I Live and Die by the In-N-Out Secret Menu.”
2. As she gets on the motorcycle, her jacket lights up with 2,000 LED bulbs that spell out “I’m a Little Bit Country!”
3. The graveyard scene features Swift shoveling dirt on her high school transcripts. What does that mean??!!
4. Are you down with the squad? In the video, an army of robot squad members march through town and eat hot dogs from street vendors. Did you notice each street cart has a picture of Calvin Harris on it? Uh-oh!
5. At one point, Taylor wears a shirt featuring names of some of the biggest NHL stars in the last 75 years. Except Bobby Hull! Whaaa?
One of the best aspects of coming of age in the 70s was there weren’t cameras everywhere to record various petty crimes.
Wait, that’s not what I meant.
One of the best parts of growing up in the 70s was the quality and variety of music (and let’s be honest, some terrible as well). We used to buy records at Target for a few bucks. This was back before Target sold designer garden tools and hip clothes hangers.
In one record haul, I’d have heavy metal, funk, folk rock, hard rock, pop and soul albums. I bought as many funk and R&B albums as rock music.
One of my favorite bands was Earth, Wind and Fire. I remember going to see them in 1978 at Iowa State University. It was a crazy great show, and it lasted so long I couldn’t believe it. If only I could last that long.
So it was sad to hear about the passing of Maurice White. It’s amazing how one person and one group can make such an impact on the world. Thanks, Maurice.